Geocell Installation – Geocell Channel Protection
A Geocell channel installation crew is comprised of (5) laborers and (1) supervisor.
- Prepare the site by removing all vegetative cover, debris and any unacceptable soils from the area where the Geocell cellular confinement system is to be placed. Replace any removed soils with acceptable materials and complete all earthwork, including going in trenches when required, in accordance with the job specifications.
- If geotextile is required by the job specifications, installation should be accomplished in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations. Geotextile will not only protect the slope with filtration and drainage function but also help the plants strongly rooted.
- For projects over Geomembranes, make sure that the geomembrane or other geosynthetic material has been installed per manufacturer’s instructions and that all earthwork has been prepared.
- Position the Geocell section along the cross-section of the channel.
- Precut or pre-connect panels at the top of the slope to cover the slope if the slope is the only section being lined or calculate length based on the full cross-section of the channel.
- Anchor the upper edge of the Geocell to the top of the slope. Anchoring will be based on channel geometry, area lined (full channel or only slopes) and flow velocities.
- Stretch the panels down the slope and stake at the bottom of the slope every other cell, or if the full channel is lined, also across the bottom and up the opposite slope area.
- Sometimes, the project may need an anchor trench, which shall be excavated according to the project designs.
- If a tendons system is being used, feed the tendon through the collapsed Geocell panel and attach one end to the dead man anchor in the anchor trench. Have enough tendon to reach the opposite side anchor. Enough tendon will be needed to tie to the cell walls or the load displacement washers. A single tendon length should be used along the full cross-section of the channel.
- The fill material should be selected to meet the project and earth properties. Fill the cells with a front-end loader or dump truck (caution: Excessive drop-height might hurt the cells. Drop-height<1m is suggested.)
- Infill material should be about 2-5cm higher than the cells to allow for settling and compaction.
- Finally to compact the Geocell system well in accordance with the designs.